Eclipse tools plugin developer (senior role), Cape Clear Software, Dublin, Ireland
July 2, 2007
If you are an Eclipse plugin developer and enjoy working on development tools (as opposed to just using them), there is a really great job going on the Cape Clear Eclipse-based tools development team, working on the Jolt award winning Cape Clear Studio. As Eclipse-development jobs go, it doesn’t get much better than this. It is a relatively small team, and we’re looking for a senior engineer who can take on large chunks of work and really push the limits in the ODI / SOA / ESB tools space. Technology-wise, its Eclipse core platform plus WTP, EMF, GEF, GMF, BIRT, and expanding all the time. The domain is pretty interesting too – SOA/ESB, WS-*, BPEL, SaaS etc. Its agile software development at its best, test-driven (or test-with anyway!), JIRA, wiki, and we follow SCRUMM which is a really lightweight process i.e. you won’t have to spend half your life producing UML diagrams! Code and junit tests are king. We’re looking for someone with experience who is really into the Eclipse platform, tools and software technology in general. There is also ample opportunity to get involved in eclipse.org and other open source projects. The job is based in Dublin, Ireland – a most excellent place to live. If you think this might be for you, drop me an email with any questions you’ve got (David Black), and/or send your resume / C.V. to Dave Barry. Here is the full job specification:
Senior Eclipse Tools Specialist
Location: Dublin central, Ireland.
We are looking for a product engineering professional to help design and deliver the next generation of our Cape Clear Studio product. Cape Clear Studio is an Eclipse base IDE for development, deployment and testing of Java, BPEL and XSLT based Web Services
Qualifying candidates must have more than 6 years commercial software development experience with commercial Java development.
This role offers an opportunity to drive the design, creation and development of Cape Clear’s industry-leading product suite. Candidates are therefore expected to demonstrate superior levels of expertise and proven experience of world-class product delivery.
The following skills are essential for this role:
– Experience of having led or significantly participated in the design of a major and demonstrably successful HCI/UI product delivery.
– Proven excellence in Java development and object-oriented development techniques and best practise.
– Excellent design and communications skills
– Experience with working in an agile development processes
The following skills are beneficial, and are ranked in terms of their importance to the role: (H=High, M=Medium, L=Low)
– Experience of Eclipse plug-in development; including experience with the following APIs: core platform, SWT, JDT, EMF, GEF, WTP a distinct advantage (H)
– Experience of using or preferably implementing, process modelling tools such as Workflow and BPM. (H)
– Knowledge and or exposure to BPEL
– XML development experience [XML Schema, DOM, SAX, SOAP, XSLT etc] (H)
– Experience in maintaining Ant based build scripts is desireable (H)
– Usability design experience (H)
– Experience of JSP and Servlet development (M)
– Web Services development experience [WSDL, SOAP, RASP etc.] (M)
– Experience of Integration technology, EAI tools and environments (M)
– Experience of J2EE application server environments such as JBoss, WebSphere, WebLogic, Tomcat, Jetty (M)
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The following tasks and responsibilities will be central to this role:
– Scoping and design of new product features in conjunction with product management.
– Scheduling & Estimation of software projects
– Software Development
– Software Quality Assurance
In addition the following tasks and responsibilities may also be assigned in this role:
– Liaison with Cape Clear sales and support teams where required to ensure customer satisfaction.
– Participate in the development of the Cape Clear engineering team, contributing to reviews of methodologies, standards, and processes.
– Mentoring junior team members
Required Education and Experience
The following education and experience requirements are mandatory for this role:
– Degree level or higher in Computer Science or related discipline.
– Minimum 6 years experience in software.
– Of those 6 years, minimum 5 years experience in Java development
– Java Certification or other relevant qualifications are highly desirable.